Principal Software Engineer
Westwood, Massachusetts, United States
Req. Number: 215807-1
Full/Part Time: F
Shift: 1st Shift
Citizens Bank continues to drive innovative technology solutions with the launch of Citizens Pay, our Merchant Point of Sale Financing capability. Citizens Pay is a core component of our national strategy to expand to serve more customers. Citizens Pay offers consumers both—a frictionless, digital-first experience and a flexible way to pay for purchases without the need to open another credit card. It also aligns with the bank’s strategy to grow digital payment volume and improve the overall customer payment experience.
As we look to deepen our Point-of-Sale offerings, Citizens Pay has some exciting employment opportunities for responsive mobile engineering talent.
We are looking for an experienced Java Application Architect and Tech Lead instrumental in bringing innovative customer experiences and ideas to fruition. Your role will be central to the successful integration of disruptive technologies within the organization. The Principal Architect will provide architectural mentorship and oversight building the next generation of products focused on cross-platform Merchant Point of Sale Financing capabilities.
The Java Architect will work cross-functionally with both technical and non-technical teams, including: business development, product management, software engineering, cyber-security and departmental executives to drive tangible results. The Principal Architect is capable of presenting designs and ideas to an Architecture Review Board and to Technology and business senior management.
Your role as Principal of Software Engineering is to work with engineering teams and architecture to produce high-quality technology solutions. You will be given the autonomy to lead, design and develop innovative solutions to some of the biggest technical issues facing the banking industry. As Principal, you will serve as a peer-leader tasked with pursuing cutting-edge initiatives and solutions. The breadth of Citizens operations ensures a diversity of projects as the bank pivots towards innovation and customer experience.
The Principal Software Engineer will be responsible for:
- Participating in an environment rapidly transforming to the Agile methodology, adhering to best practices and collaborating effectively with your team mates.
- Collaborating and contributing insight to solution design ideation, ensuring both the success of the product and adherence to enterprise architecture principles.
- Designing, modifying, developing and implementing software solutions. Building modern, architecturally sound components, tools and applications to meet mission-driven strategic business goals.
- Infusing quality of service characteristics, such as scalability, manageability and maintainability, into distributed service-based framework to create or expand business or technical capabilities.
- Employing industry best practices to evaluate, correct and prevent vulnerabilities during the software development process.
- Serving as a peer-leader, encouraging a culture of innovation and accountability while adhering to Agile best practices.
- 7+ years of hands-on software development, with proven experience in developing and supporting commercial software products which were sold to non-technical customers in vertical markets
- Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor software engineers
- 5+ years experience in querying, analyzing and managing big data
- AWS/AZURE/GCP experience, including managing sensitive assets
- Bash and Linux experience
- Experience with CICD pipeline (CircleCI, Jenkins, or equivalent)
- Strong communication (both oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Cloud certifications such as AWS Solutions Architect
- Understand data structure concepts such as linked lists, dictionaries, arrays, custom object creation, etc
- Strong background in designing, building, and deploying enterprise level REST Java API services in Spring Boot using the Agile product development process
- Thorough knowledge of automated unit and integration testing tools and techniques
- Work in a large-scale enterprise environment subject to a complex set of security and regulatory requirements Customer-centric focused
- 3+ years of experience in the financial services industry, developing solutions for consumer banking, portfolio management, trading, compliance or wealth management
- Understanding of banking system and custodial and consumer banking operations
- Experience with Apache, Lucene, Memcache, RAbbitMQ and NoSQL
- Experience working in a managed container environment such as Kubernetes or Openshift
- Experience with Java 11+ features and libraries
- Familiar with CI/CD pipelines using GIT/Bitbucket and Jenkins
Education, Certifications and/or Other Professional Credentials:
- Required: Bachelor's degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related discipline
- Preferred: Master's degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related discipline
We offer competitive pay, comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage, retirement benefits, maternity/paternity leave, flexible work arrangements, education reimbursement, wellness programs and more.View Benefits
Citizens, its parent, subsidiaries, and related companies provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, citizenship, physical or mental disability or perceived disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, genetic characteristic, marital or domestic partner status, victim of domestic violence, family status/parenthood, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, pregnancy/childbirth/lactation, colleague’s or a dependent’s reproductive health decision making, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
Equal Employment and Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veteran
Citizens is a brand name of Citizens Bank, N.A. and each of its respective affiliates.
Citizens is committed to ensuring that all interested candidates can successfully participate in our recruitment process. If you are an individual with a disability or require a reasonable accommodation, please see our Job Seeker Help policy.