Internal Audit Summer Internship ProgramLocation Johnston, Rhode Island Req. Number206623 Category Administration, Commercial Banking, Internships, Early Careers, Audit, Corporate Full/Part Time F Shift 1st Shift
We’re developing the next generation of leaders
You have a unique opportunity to jumpstart your career through hands-on, impactful projects, comprehensive training and development, and exposure to executive leadership, paving the way for a robust career at Citizens Bank.
The Internal Audit Summer Internship Program is a critical program within the Internal Audit Department for cultivating talented, young professionals who aspire to be future leaders. As part of this program, you’ll accelerate the development of analytical, communication, and project management skills as well as gain foundational audit skills through on-the-job training with an audit team focused on all key risks across Citizens Bank.
The Internal Audit team is made up of over 100 highly-skilled professionals with the mission of providing the Board, Audit Committee, Shareholders, and Executive Management with an independent and objective view of the effectiveness of the bank’s control environment, risk management practices, and culture. Internal Audit provides independent assurance on the appropriateness of the design and operational effectiveness of risk management and internal control processes that mitigate the bank’s key risks, provides advice to improve the organization’s governance and risk management framework, and assesses the appropriateness, effectiveness, and sustainability of action plans developed by bank management to improve controls. Internal Audit carries out its duties freely and objectively, in line with Institute of Internal Auditors and Examiner standards.
Experience during the program
NOTE: THIS INTERNSHIP PROGRAM BEGINS IN EARLY JUNE 2021
In this 10 – 12 week program, you will have the opportunity to gain a strong understanding of the Internal Audit function at Citizens Bank as well as great insight into the inner workings of a large financial institution. You’ll experience a variety of hands-on, impactful projects, gain exposure to senior leaders, and develop a transferable skill-set that will position you as a possible candidate for the Internal Audit Rotational Program.
Designed for rising seniors, this program is a great way to gain experience within a specific Internal Audit area while also getting additional exposures to multiple Audit functions. You may be placed in any one of the following Internal Audit Teams: Commercial Banking, Consumer Banking, Risk Management/Compliance, Finance/Accounting, and Information Technology. During the summer, you could be working on:
- Planning, fieldwork, wrap-up, and execution of all types of audit activities including audits, continuous monitoring of internal controls, and issue validation for Internal Audit-raised issues.
- Working with a variety of different business line leaders and executives, while improving communication and relationship management skills and gaining an understanding of the bank’s strategy.
- Analyzing and interpreting qualitative and quantitative audit data and present back findings to audit team members and business line partners.
- Assisting with the creation of audit reports to accurately reflect audit findings.
- Gaining exposure to a range of business divisions and support areas, through focused training sessions with experts from various departments.
As an intern in this program, you’ll also have the opportunity to participate in a variety of activities to further develop you as a professional. Throughout the summer, you’ll experience:
- 1-day Orientation with all RI based interns during your first week
- Professional development workshops (such as Business Etiquette and Communication Style)
- Bi-weekly Sr. Speaker Series with Citizens leadership
- Social activities (such as sporting events or a bank-wide intern BBQ)
- Dedicated community service activities
Life after the program
Near the end of the program, you’ll be givenearly consideration for the Internal Audit Rotational Program.
The Internal Audit Rotational Program is a one-year full-time program, which consists of a robust onboarding as well as classes, self-study, on-the-job training, mentorship, and an opportunity to continue to gain relevant experience by completing 3 rotational assignments through various Internal Audit Teams.
Who we’re looking for
We’re looking for self-starters, team players, and strategic thinkers.
To be successful in this program, you’ll need to display strong skills and characteristics including: analytical and critical thinking, communication, data analysis, detail-oriented, initiative, interpersonal, leadership, learning agility, project management, relationship building, strategic mindset, and time management.
What you’ll need to apply
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree
- All majors will be considered; Information Technology and analytical related coursework is highly preferred.
- Expected graduation date of May 2022
- Minimum GPA of 3.00 required
- An individual with an interest in IT Audit is preferred
Background qualifications include:
- Please note that U.S. Immigration sponsorship or work visa is not available for this position and candidates must have permanent authorization to work in the U.S.
Hours and Work Schedule
Hours per Week: 40
Work Schedule: M-F 8:30am - 5pm
Why Work for Us
At Citizens, you'll find a customer-centric culture built around helping our customers and giving back to our local communities. When you join our team, you are part of a supportive and collaborative workforce, with access to training and tools to accelerate your potential and maximize your career growth.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of Citizens to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, pregnancy/childbirth, colleague or a dependent’s reproductive health decision making, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or perceived disability, genetic information, genetic characteristic, citizenship, veteran or military status, marital or domestic partner status, family status/parenthood, victim of domestic violence, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
Equal Employment and Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veteran
Citizens is a brand name of Citizens Bank, N.A. and each of its respective affiliates.