Internal Audit Rotational Program June 2023
Student and Recent Graduates, Finance and Accounting
Johnston, Rhode Island
Job ID: 228002
Full/Part Time: F
Shift: 1st Shift
We’re developing the next generation of leaders
You have a unique opportunity to jumpstart your career through hands-on, impactful projects, comprehensive training and development, and exposure to executive leadership, paving the way for a robust career at Citizens Bank.
The Internal Audit Rotational Program is a critical program within the Internal Audit Department for cultivating talented, young professionals who aspire to be future leaders. As part of this program, you’ll accelerate the development of foundational audit skills through a combination of classes, self-study, on-the-job training and rotations through audit teams focused on all key risks across Citizens Bank. Through exposure to key Citizens Bank business divisions, you will graduate from this program with a strong understanding of audit principles and be well-positioned to have a successful career in the financial services industry.
The Internal Audit team is made up of over 100 highly-skilled professionals with the mission of providing the Board, Audit Committee, Shareholders, and Executive Management with an independent and objective view of the effectiveness of the bank’s control environment, risk management practices, and culture. Internal Audit provides independent assurance on the appropriateness of the design and operational effectiveness of risk management and internal control processes that mitigate the bank’s key risks, provides advice to improve the organization’s governance and risk management framework, and assesses the appropriateness, effectiveness, and sustainability of action plans developed by bank management to improve controls. Internal Audit carries out its duties freely and objectively, in line with Institute of Internal Auditors and Examiner standards.
Experience during the program
NOTE: THIS FULL-TIME PROGRAM BEGINS IN EARLY JUNE 2023
In this 12-month program, you will have the opportunity to gain a strong understanding of the Internal Audit function at Citizens Bank as well as great insight into the inner workings of a large financial institution. You’ll begin by completing a robust onboarding and training over your first few weeks which will include classes concentrating in internal audit, bank operations, information technology, and regulatory risk management. During this time, we will match you with a mentor who will help guide you through the duration of the program.
Then, you’ll continue to gain relevant experience by completing a six-month instructional rotation, followed by two 3-month rotations across various Audit teams which can include: Commercial Banking, Consumer Banking, Risk Management/Compliance, Finance/Accounting, and Information Technology. During your business line rotations, you could be working on:
- Planning, fieldwork, wrap-up, and execution of all types of audit activities including audits, continuous monitoring of internal controls, and issue validation for Internal Audit-raised issues.
- Working with a variety of different business line leaders and executives, while improving communication and relationship management skills and gaining an understanding of the bank’s strategy.
- Analyzing and interpreting qualitative and quantitative audit data and present back findings to audit team members and business line partners.
- Assisting with the creation of audit reports to accurately reflect audit findings.
- Gaining exposure, a range of business divisions and support areas, through focused training sessions with experts from various departments.
As an Internal Audit Associate, each individual will be enrolled in the full-time program and is responsible for successfully completing all aspects of the program including:
- Attendance at all training classes and completion of related homework and other assignments as required
- Demonstration of competence in materials presented and ability to execute routine audit test work
As an Associate in this program, you’ll also have the opportunity to participate in the bank’s Early Career Development Programming (ECDP) starting in June 2023. The ECDP is a robust, four-month program designed to give our new early career colleagues a strong foundation of Citizens Bank. Through the ECDP, you’ll experience:
- A two-day orientation with all bank-wide development program colleagues
- Professional development workshops (such as Agile Methodologies and Presence & Presentation)
- Customer and client site visits
- Networking opportunities with senior leadership
- Dedicated community service activities
- Strategic Challenge where you’ll work in small teams to solve for an organizational problem and present your recommendations to a panel of executives
Life after the program
Upon successful completion of the Program, graduates will be placed on an Internal Audit team as a Staff Auditor. A Staff Auditor is typically responsible for executing test work in business lines across Citizens Financial Group to validate the adequacy, effectiveness, and sustainability of internal controls.
Further, you’ll continue to have access to a growing community of Citizens Bank development program alums that will prove invaluable throughout your entire career journey! You may also have the opportunity to partner closely with the Program Management team on recruiting related activities as well as future program planning and design.
What you’ll need to apply
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree
- All majors will be considered; Information Technology and analytical related coursework is highly preferred.
- Expected graduation date of May 2023
- Minimum GPA of 3.00 required
- Internship or other relevant corporate exposure is preferred
Background qualifications include:
- Please note that U.S. Immigration sponsorship or work visa is not available for this position and candidates must have permanent authorization to work in the U.S.
Some job boards have started using jobseeker-reported data to estimate salary ranges for roles. If you apply and qualify for this role, a recruiter will discuss accurate pay guidance.
We offer competitive pay, comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage, retirement benefits, maternity/paternity leave, flexible work arrangements, education reimbursement, wellness programs and more.View Benefits
Citizens, its parent, subsidiaries, and related companies provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, citizenship, physical or mental disability or perceived disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, genetic characteristic, marital or domestic partner status, victim of domestic violence, family status/parenthood, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, pregnancy/childbirth/lactation, colleague’s or a dependent’s reproductive health decision making, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
Equal Employment and Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veteran
Citizens is a brand name of Citizens Bank, N.A. and each of its respective affiliates.
Citizens is committed to ensuring that all interested candidates can successfully participate in our recruitment process. If you are an individual with a disability or require a reasonable accommodation, please see our Job Seeker Help policy.