Commercial Banking Summer Intern - Underwriting & Portfolio Management
Commercial Banking, Student and Recent Graduates
El Segundo, California, United States
840 Apollo St.
Req. Number: 217669
Full/Part Time: F
Shift: 1st Shift
Citizens Commercial Banking is growing the future leaders of our organization. Commercial Banking is business to business banking. It involves analytical and problem-solving skills as well as strong interpersonal skills to build relationships with commercial clients. Career paths include but are not limited to Credit Analysis, Portfolio Management, Relationship Management.
The Commercial Summer Internship Program is designed to give interns a look at Citizens Bank’s culture through project-based assignments, learning curriculum, networking, volunteer opportunities and formal mentorship. It is a 10-week exposure into one of many commercial banking business lines throughout the footprint. Responsibilities will vary based on the group you’re assigned to and will leverage your unique skills and abilities. We encourage students from all majors, who have an interest in exploring a career in commercial banking to apply. Our internships will run from May 31 – August 5, 2022. At the conclusion of the program, high performers will get early consideration into the Commercial Banker Development Program (CBDP), a 1-year rotational training and development program and start to your career in Commercial Banking.
Underwriting and Portfolio Management (U&PM) focuses on underwriting credit requests for new and existing clients and managing the bank’s portfolio through the life of the relationship. There are many client groups within U&PM including Middle Market, Mid Corporate, Commercial Real Estate, and Business Capital, to name a few. Colleagues in U&PM work in cross-functional teams to review and analyze historical and projected financial performance, identify risks and mitigants, structure credit facilities, ancillary banking products and services for the bank and its clients. U&PM ensures that clients are complying with the terms of the underlying credit facilities and monitors for any current or future deterioration in credit, as well as future opportunities to assist clients in achieving their goals and objectives.
The summer intern will work as part of a commercial client coverage deal team. The position will support Portfolio Managers (PM), Credit Analysts (CA), and Relationship Managers (RMs) in new loan transaction underwriting, loan monitoring, and business development activities:
- Monitor for the receipt and accuracy of client reporting including financial statements, covenant compliance certificates, and collateral requirements.
- Assist in credit analysis, preparation of deal screening memos, new credit approval requests, loan closings, and annual reviews of existing client relationships. This includes learning / preparing financial models, written financial analysis, conducting industry research and preparing written summaries of industry issues, risks, opportunities, and the competitive environment, communicating questions or observations, and utilizing internal risk and return models and loan systems.
- Performs market analysis and assist in the development of commercial client prospect lists as needed. Works with the Relationship Managers to assist in preparation of client presentations.
- Participate in Team Meetings, Capital Markets calls and broader Commercial Banking calls.
- Participate in deal screen presentations and credit approval meetings.
- Work as part of the deal team on a deal screen or new transaction.
- Participate in client meetings or conference calls.
- Network within the commercial bank and ask questions about specific roles.
- Complete other tasks and special projects as required.
- Enrollment and demonstrated academic achievement in an undergraduate degree program with a graduation date of December 2022 or May 2023
- Minimum preferred GPA of 3.5
- All majors considered, Finance desirable
- Demonstrated leadership in a club, volunteer or sports
- Initiative taker who can handle multiple priorities
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills and Detail-oriented
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Team player who can work closely with others to complete projects under tight deadlines
- Software skills: Solid MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
Application Instructions - Please read carefully
- Combine your resume (with your overall GPA included) and your mandatory cover letter into a single PDF document before attaching it to your application. Your cover letter must include the following:
- Why are you interested in joining Citizens Bank?
- What is your interest in Commercial Banking?
- What skills and character attributes you think you bring to the program?
- Please note:The application deadline is October 21, 2021.
- Please note that U.S. Immigration sponsorship or work visa is not available for this position or for full time Analyst positions and candidates must have permanent authorization to work in the U.S. You must currently be a U.S. Resident to be eligible for this program.
We offer competitive pay, comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage, retirement benefits, maternity/paternity leave, flexible work arrangements, education reimbursement, wellness programs and more.View Benefits
Citizens, its parent, subsidiaries, and related companies provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, citizenship, physical or mental disability or perceived disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, genetic characteristic, marital or domestic partner status, victim of domestic violence, family status/parenthood, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, pregnancy/childbirth/lactation, colleague’s or a dependent’s reproductive health decision making, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
Equal Employment and Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veteran
Citizens is a brand name of Citizens Bank, N.A. and each of its respective affiliates.
Citizens is committed to ensuring that all interested candidates can successfully participate in our recruitment process. If you are an individual with a disability or require a reasonable accommodation, please see our Job Seeker Help policy.