Treasury and Balance Sheet Strategies Graduate Summer Internship ProgramLocation Boston, Massachusetts Req. Number207023 Category Administration, Commercial Banking, Treasury, Internships, Early Careers, Corporate Full/Part Time F Shift 1st Shift
We’re developing the next generation of leaders
You have a unique opportunity to jumpstart your career through hands-on, impactful projects, comprehensive training and development, and exposure to executive leadership, paving the way for a robust career at Citizens Bank.
The Treasury and Balance Sheet Strategies Graduate Summer Internship Program is a critical program within the Treasury Department for cultivating talented, graduate students who aspire to be future leaders. As part of this program, you’ll accelerate the development of analytical, communication, and project management skills as well as gain foundational financial analysis skills through on-the-job training and assigned project work.
Treasury and Balance Sheet Strategies (Treasury) manages risks inherent in balance sheet positions and off-balance-sheet commitments that are created by Citizens’ core business activities. Treasury teams manage liquidity and interest rate risk (IRR); oversee CBNA’s investment and hedging portfolios; and ensure capital adequacy for both planned and stressed environments. Consistent with these risk management disciplines, Treasury also formulates key Funds Transfer Pricing (FTP) and Economic Capital (EC) methodologies that support business-specific risk-based pricing and returns.
Experience during the program
NOTE: THIS INTERNSHIP PROGRAM BEGINS IN EARLY JUNE 2021
In this 10 week program, you will have the opportunity to gain a strong understanding of the Corporate Treasury function at Citizens Bank as well as great insight into the inner workings of a large financial institution. You’ll experience a variety of hands-on, impactful projects, gain exposure to senior leaders, and develop a transferable skill-set that will position you as a possible candidate for the Treasury and Balance Sheet Strategies Rotational Program.
Designed for final year graduate students with previous financial analyst experience, this program is a great way to gain experience within a specific Treasury area while also getting additional exposures to multiple Treasury functions. You may be placed in any one of the following Treasury related areas for the summer: Funding and Liquidity, Asset/Liability Management, Capital Markets, Treasury Investments and Hedges, Deposit Strategy or Capital Strategy & Analytics. The intern could possibly be moved into other departments depending on projects and incumbents skill set to support different initiatives. During the summer, you could be working on:
- Develop and maintain a model (or models) that describes the projected balance and interest income/expense for one or more product portfolios (e.g. retail deposits, mortgage loans and mortgage backed securities, commercial or Consumer loans etc.) on Citizens balance sheet over a wide range of potential interest rate and economic scenarios.
- Assisting in the execution of a range of investment and hedging transactions to manage interest rate risk
- Working with the Funding & Liquidity team to manage secured and unsecured funding sources, and develop and execute optimal strategies.
- Analytical projects within Deposit Strategy team related to the relative costs of the banks deposit franchise relative to wholesale funding alternatives as well as against peers.
- Financial reporting that provides a clearer understanding of the impacts of and return for various balance sheet initiatives.
Note: The incumbent may be placed in the Boston, MA or Providence, RI location
As an intern in this program, you’ll also have the opportunity to participate in a variety of activities to further develop you as a professional. Throughout the summer, you’ll experience:
- Professional development workshops (such as Business Etiquette and Communication Style)
- Bi-weekly Sr. Speaker Series with Citizens leadership
- Social activities (such as sporting events or a bank-wide intern BBQ)
- Dedicated community service activities
Life after the program
Near the end of the program, you’ll be givenearly consideration for the Treasury and Balance Sheet Strategies Rotational Program.
The Treasury and Balance Sheet Strategies Rotational Program is an 18 month full-time program that consists of a robust onboarding, on-the-job training, mentorship, and an opportunity to continue to gain relevant experience by completing three 6-month rotational assignments through various Treasury teams.
Who we’re looking for
We’re looking for self-starters, team players, and strategic thinkers.
To be successful in this program, you’ll need to display strong skills and characteristics including: analytical and critical thinking, verbal and written communication, data analysis, detail-oriented, initiative, interpersonal, leadership, learning agility, project management, relationship building, strategic mindset, and time management.
What you’ll need to apply
- Candidate for a Master’s degree in economics, math, finance or business administration
- Expected graduation date by May 2022
- Minimum GPA of 3.5
- 2+ years previous experience as a Financial/ Business Analyst
- Fully proficient in PC tools (Microsoft Office)
- Exceptional written and oral presentation skills
Background qualifications include:
- Please note that U.S. Immigration sponsorship or work visa is not available for this position and candidates must have permanent authorization to work in the U.S.
Hours and Work Schedule
Hours per Week: 40
Work Schedule: M-F 8:30am - 5pm
Why Work for Us
At Citizens, you'll find a customer-centric culture built around helping our customers and giving back to our local communities. When you join our team, you are part of a supportive and collaborative workforce, with access to training and tools to accelerate your potential and maximize your career growth.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of Citizens to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, pregnancy/childbirth, colleague or a dependent’s reproductive health decision making, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or perceived disability, genetic information, genetic characteristic, citizenship, veteran or military status, marital or domestic partner status, family status/parenthood, victim of domestic violence, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
Equal Employment and Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veteran
Citizens is a brand name of Citizens Bank, N.A. and each of its respective affiliates.